[lbo-talk] Virtually all Dems support Card Check Bill

R rhisiart at charter.net
Tue Oct 26 20:06:21 PDT 2004

At 09:01 PM 10/25/2004, R wrote:
>At 02:31 PM 10/25/2004, Nathan Newman wrote:

are you serious when you call that a debate?

>>largely supported Kerry in the primaries and I ripped into him multiple
>>times on my blog.

and you accomplished .... ?

you "largely supported kerry" meaning what? that you did and you didn't support him? or you changed your loyalties when you decided he was the winner and your preferred candidate was the looser? didn't you prefer kuspinach, and give him money?

>>That's what primaries are for, to have a debate on the
>>direction of the party.

you should let the party know.

>>But you seem to be saying that if progressives
>>don't join in with the rightwing in tearing into the Democratic candidate
>>during the post-convention period, that is some kind of failure.
>>
>>But what I've advocated for well over a decade, which Doug and other
>>long-time Internet folks can attest to, since we've had this argument for
>>years, is for progressives to support the Democrats while building their
>>own independent organizations at the grassroots. And that strategy has
>>never really been tried until this year. That is why I am so excited about
>>ACT and other 527-type groups that are de facto taking over the grassroots
>>infrastructure of the Democratic Party and building a national progressive
>>organization.
>>
>>-- Nathan Newman

can i call this the "Nathan Newman Plan"?

you've advocated this plan for over ten years. that would be since you were in your twenties, right? or are you a late bloomer, not graduating from college until you were in your 30's.

you actually believe that organizations sophisticated enough to develop strong grass roots movements will willingly waste their accomplishments on the democratic party? meanwhile all the rest of us are to go on supporting the status quo by voting for democrats, no matter how lousy they are, in the vague hope something will turn up?

ACT and "other 527-type groups," as you put it, are gaining ground today because of the strong negative reaction to shrub and his pals. this is nothing to get giddy about because there's a strong likelihood the phenomenon will not persist unless shrub's elected next week.