[lbo-talk] Eminem

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 05:39:31 PDT 2004

At 11:39 PM 10/26/2004, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>I haven't had a chance to see this myself but I understand this video is a
>nice parody of our Commander in Cheif
>
>http://www.gnn.tv/videos/video.php?id=27
>
>Also Eminem says Bush isn't his Homie....
>http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/10/2508.cfm

Wow. You'd better see it. It's not a parody. It is advocating revolution. And, while he attacks Shrub, one of his last lines is a plea to both Shrub and Kerry-- and you see a TV, split screen, with both Shrub and Kerry.

Marshall deserves many hummers.

I strongly suspect that a former mentor of mine would see it as fascistic -- if I'm hearing the lyrics right. The light at the end of the tunnel imagery reminds me of the fascistic scene at the end of Batman -- where he gives the city a search light, tells them to shine it when they need him, and he'll swoop in and save them. Well, come to think of it, this video isn't advocating a savior but that people rise up and _become_ their own saviors. I guess it's just the dark colors, the military beat, the brooding uniformity of the people who all dress in the same clothes as they rise up.

I have not been paying attention to the news. Is this getting a lot of play? I would think it would scare the crap out of the administration. Is it being denounced by major media players?

Off to Google!

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling