[lbo-talk] Prop. 62 Would Squelch Third Parties in California

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 27 09:21:21 PDT 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Times are changing in the US and the tidal wave is turning against the
>Boobus Americanus - to borrow the nifty catch phrases coined by HL Mencken -
>a fellow Baltimorean whose writings I greatly enjoy. The Boobuses know that
>and mobilize to fight it, as evidenced by the ferocity of the Bush campaign
>- but the numbers are slowly turning against them. They may or may not pull
>it in 2004 but they are becoming a minority - very vocal, very angry, and
>very vicious - but a minority nonetheless.

Refreshing to see you so optimistic! I think some of the controversy here over Chomsky's description of the U.S. today as "incomparably more civilized" than that of 40 years ago can be traced to the rising intensity of the uncivilized as their numbers dwindled. Now if we could just get a civilized welfare state...

Doug