[lbo-talk] Prop. 62 Would Squelch Third Parties in California

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Oct 27 09:28:48 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

-My problem with "defending the rights of criminals" is that it represents a -larger inability of Democrats and progressives to define the framework of -public discourse in this country in terms that are favorable to them.

Yes, but unlike some issues, voting rights is not just a social justice gain, it is a power gain. If you win on the policy, you gain votes to defend the policy in the first place. I don't disagree that framing is important, but felon disenfranchisement is one that we can win on in terms of redemption in the right framing.

Nathan