[lbo-talk] A Big Stipend Gap! (Vive Jacques, Le Moor ! Vive la differance !)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:43:40 PDT 2004

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>I'm saying simply that the left would not be in its current
>>moribund state if more energy had been spent on politics since the
>>Vietnam war era instead of playing dweeby word games.
>
>Hmm, perhaps you overlooked the Eric Alterman passage I've posted
>several times:
>
>>"But here's the twist. [Labor historian Nelson] Lichtenstein is
>>part of a perfectly Rortyite reformist Campaign for a Living Wage
>>at the University of Virginia. This campaign is not about ending
>>sexism, racism, or homophobia, but about getting janitorial staff a
>>few extra bucks an hour. Who are its volunteers? Primarily, says
>>Lichtenstein, faculty and graduate students from the pomo
>>literature and theory crowd."
>
>Doug

There is a materialist explanation for more interest in labor organizing and solidarity among grad students in the humanities and social sciences than in the sciences. It's a big stipend gap!

Pomo or no pomo, grad students in the humanities and social sciences are decidedly more proletarian than those in the sciences, so they are more interested in joining unions and supporting their fellow workers such as janitors than those in the sciences are. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>