[lbo-talk] Eminem

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Oct 27 13:22:43 PDT 2004

Actually, the most interesting aspect of the video is that it creates a menacing mob-anarchist feel that is directed to going into voting. It makes voting en masse seem menacing, which it is to the powers that be, but that message hasn't been out there on the left for a while. The radical focus of the video is not just the donning of the hoods to go marching, but taking them off to go vote at the end of the video. It's a hip-hop "Clean for Gene" message in its essence.

And while there is a leadership vibe, it's couched in explaining and simplifying what's at stake to encourage folks to vote.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Gotzler" <Steve at gotzler.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 3:06 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Eminem

There is a similar quality to the video that reminds me of Triumph of the Will. And while the lyrics do call on people to rise up and vote, they also ask people to let the singer lead them.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 2:41 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Eminem