[lbo-talk] Re: JDK runs on FreeBSD!!

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 11:14:47 PDT 2004

jb writes:

>No one is disputing any of that. Fact remains that as
>the organic composition of capital changes in the
>manufacting sector and margins shrink, profit margins
>in the "soft" information sector is where the
>future lies. For many, many years Apple (and a lot of
>software vendors) were toting up 40% profit margins.
>Forty fucking pecent!!! What's Coke getting these
>days? 1%? This is why capital does not, in principle,
>like open source. They'll use it as a carrot, vis
>IBM, but it sets a bad example. It sets a bad example
>economically and it sets a bad example politically.

and, frankly, so do doug and carroll on this topic. if software is collaboratively created and freely distributed, it might actually make that writer's job easier, rather than shelling out whatever microsoft is charging for ms office these days.

and, in any case, what's wrong with alternative means of distribution, even if it can't house or clothe the writer? what's wrong, dear leftists, with workers owning and distributing the means of production? must every parecon-omic solution be totalized into fixing what's wrong with the 95% remainder of the economy said solution doesn't directly address? can we not have two, three, many non-competitive economic alternatives, regardless of how much one influences something outside of its socio-economic sphere? or should i just return my copy of linux, and my copy of "book your own fucking life!", the "fair trade" coffee i bought and my co-op membership and just buy oracle stock and hope for the best?

geez, we'll never get anarcho-syndacalism going in this country with you calvinists of capital around...

Come on guys, get real. Get real, these guys knew where it was and even if it was gone before, which I doubt that it was, ask them the question, you’re tough reporters, ask them the question, who did you have there guarding that facility? Why the hell didn’t they know it was gone back when we went in? This makes me angry. My kid and a lot of other kids might get their ass over there and get blown up by these because of their civilian incompetence. And they’re talking about John Kerry was somehow unreasonable suggesting that this is incompetence, come on. If you think I’m upset, I am.

-- Sen. Joe Biden, on the 380 tons of

explosives missing from the Al Qaqaa

depot in Iraq

____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance