[lbo-talk] Celebrity gossip

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 12:17:17 PDT 2004

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
> Michael Dowson:
> > Well, how can you be such a crank, Woj? Watching sports is fun.
>

> No doubt, and so is many other things, such as:
> - shooting live animals
> - shooting at passing cars
> - shooting people
> - dousing cats and dogs in gasoline and setting them ablaze
> - beating up one's girlfriend
> - beating up fags or bums
> - gang raping joggers
> - lynching n-words or dragging them behind one's truck

This is offensive. Is that what you were going for? Comparing everyday spectator activities to deliberate acts of violence? Comparing conventional and socially accepted forms of entertainment to "forms of entertainment" that are signs of various severe psychological disorders?

> I am not debating the fact that these and similar activities are
> fun to many
> good folk inhabiting this land. What I am asking is what is so
> funny about
> them - a part that you apparently missed.

Funny or fun? And why does the subjective have to be qualified at all?

- Deborah