[lbo-talk] Eminem and fascism??

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 14:31:06 PDT 2004

John Adams: If you see a Buddha in the bin, hope that it's Captain Beefheart and not the 1910 Fruitgum Company, ~~~~~~~~~~~

Bwahaha! When I was a runaway kid in the East village circa 1968, I was staying at a crashpad with a guy that claimed to be the drummer for the 1910 Fruitgum Company...

I thought he was nuts... at least he wasn't "jesus".

I never kept up with the MC5 after they broke up, but if you go into any "hip" record store you'll probably find a larger selection of their music than when they were up and running... session and out-take stuff mostly .

When UAW/MF jacked Bill Graham for a "free nite" at the Fillmore East, the MC5 played a show. I was sitting on the edge of the stage... not paying attention to the situation on stage, just kinda checking the spectacle that was the audience, and they began playing. The American flags draped over the amps flapped like a gale force wind was blowing.

Kids still like that stuff... Me too!

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com

----- Original Message ----- From: John Adams To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 12:48 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Eminem and fascism??

On Oct 28, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Leigh Meyers wrote:

> On a similar note: In R&R circles, the MC5 are very popular,
> years after their heyday... In a sense, they have become a
> sub-cultural force that has surpassed their original function as
> the "musical wing" of John Sinclair's White Panther Party.
> Often, the kids don't know that when I point it out, and it
> creates a cross-generational opening for discussion of
> current issues... such as the draft and the MilIndTechEdu
> complex.

I hope you hip them to Wayne Kramer's solo stuff--it's really, really great.

> "If you see the Budda in the road, kill him."

If you see a Buddha in the bin, hope that it's Captain Beefheart and not the 1910 Fruitgum Company,

John A