[lbo-talk] Legitimation Crisis? (washingtonpost.com: Don't Ask Me)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 29 07:12:54 PDT 2004

Doug wrote:
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Why are Kerry supporters on LBO-talk so lacking in motivation as to
>>require round-the-clock discussion of disputable polls in a tight
>>race before they can make up their minds to show up? If they want
>>to win, they should be getting ready to not just vote on November 2
>>but also fight in the streets for several days, weeks, or maybe
>>months after election day, rather than leaving the battle to the
>>Democratic and Republican battalions of lawyers.
>
>How do you know what people are doing, or plan to do?

Because Michael suggests that Kerry supporters on LBO-talk won't even bother to come out to vote if polls look too good or too bad: "If the polls were all saying Kerry would win, a lot of us wouldn't make that extra effort to get up early and take a bus to another state. If they all said Kerry was losing and we believed them, many of us would skip the bus because we were dispirited -- because we would hate the idea of spending 12 hours in the cold when we were almost sure we were going to lose" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20041025/024538.html>). That indicates a very low level of motivation, rather than the conviction that their lives depend on the outcome, so it's doubtful that they will refuse to let Bush win, no matter what, by any means necessary, ballots or streets. Like I said, though, I'll be very happy to be proven wrong -- I just won't count on them. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>