[lbo-talk] Re: Butler on Derrida

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Oct 29 08:41:41 PDT 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

Wittgenstein
>did not provide topical commentary on
> anything. As far as I know he did not discuss in
> print:
> World War I (in which he was a soldier)
> The treaty of Versaille
> The inflation of the 1920s
> The revolutionary movements of that era and their fate
> The rise of Nazism
> The Russian revolution
etc.

My question was about the Wittgensteinian school and its potential, if any, for providing topical commentary on the issues you have listed by using Wittgenstein's methods and assumptions.

> Probably I have left something out, but I tried to hit
> the highlights so you would not have to ask. If you
> are looking for topical commentary, he's not your guy.
> His interest in rule-following behavior addresses in
> part the skeptical challenge, how do we know we are
> following a rule? Like, "add 1" or "use 'red' to mean
> this color here." If that level of abstraction does
> not interest you, don't read him.

That level of abstraction would certainly interest me, if it's relationship to and its implications for the topics mentioned by you can be indicated.

Ulhas