[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali endorses Kerry, denounces Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 29 15:35:27 PDT 2004

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>>He also said that if Kerry is inaugrated on Jan 20, it should be
>>>greeted with the largest antiwar demo in U.S. history. I agree
>>>with that too.
>>
>>I agree that it should be, but you and I, as well as Ali, know that
>>it won't be, realistically.
>
>Since when does "realism" drive your politics? The whole Nader thing
>is antireal, a phantasm.
>
>Doug

I have and will continue to help mobilize for the inauguration protest, my realistic estimate of its size notwithstanding. I doubt that many of today's Kerry supporters will be attending it, though. It will be the sort of activists who supported and participated in mobilizing for the first anti-war demonstration after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the the Nader/Camejo campaign, the Million Worker March, etc. that will go to the inauguration protest if John Kerry gets elected.

A couple of Green Party activist friends and I went to a John Kerry rally -- 40,000 in attendance -- at the Ohio State University yesterday to hand out our flyers <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/Nov3.doc> for the November 3rd demonstration against the occupations. We were the only activists there who were putting out anything about post-election mobilization.

Once demobilized and depoliticized by the Democratic Party, it will take a lot of time to rebuild a social movement. You can't turn it on after election day just like that -- a social movement is not like an electrical appliance that has an on-and-off switch.

And even if we succeed in rebuilding the movement against the occupations, it will be killed by the Democratic Party again in 2008, if we don't build an alternative on the electoral front. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>