[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali endorses Kerry, denounces Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 29 15:51:26 PDT 2004

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu, Fri Oct 29 15:04:25 PDT 2004:

The main outfit mobilizing for the inauguration protest is International ANSWER <http://www.internationalanswer.org/>. While I have never taken the sort of sectarian attitude against ANSWER and the Workers World Party that some leftists have, I can't exactly generate the same enthusiasm for yet another march called by ANSWER as what is initiated and organized by ILWU Local 10. I think that such Black labor left organizers as Clarence Thomas, Trent Willis, Leo Robinson, etc. leading a movement against the occupations would make the movement much more politically promising than white professional revolutionaries like the Becker brothers leading it could.

>Are you 100 percent sure Kerry will continue the occupation? What
>if he's lying to get elected? What if he does appoint Biden to be a
>special ME envoy and Biden forces some sanity on Israel? Not
>likely, of course, but not impossible.

I'm not 100 percent sure -- I'm merely 99.99% sure. And I'd rather prepare post-election mobilization based on what's very much likely than what is only a theoretical possibility.

>And what's wrong with giving Kerry the LBJ treatment in 2008, if
>things aren't better?

You mean electing the Republican presidential candidate in 2008? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>