[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali endorses Kerry, denounces Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 29 16:34:00 PDT 2004

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com, Fri Oct 29 15:50:58 PDT 2004:
>>You can't turn it on after election day just like that -- a social
>>movement is not like an electrical appliance that has an on-and-off
>>switch.
>
>True enough--which is why those who found the election too
>distasteful to sully their hands with might instead have been
>fruitfully organizing toward an Inauguration Day anti-war protest.

Nader/Camejo supporters and Green Party activists can't be accused of finding "the election too distasteful to sully their hands." Actually, the main complaint of Democratic Party ideologues is that Nader/Camejo supporters and Green Party activists "sullied their hands" by running their own candidates.

In any case, those who have not toed the AnybodyButBush party line -- e.g., indefatigable ANSWER organizers -- have and will be mobilizing for the inauguration protest (as I mentioned, I saw many ANSWER volunteers handing out flyers for it at the August 29th anti-Bush/RNC march in New York City). The problem is that the ABB party line has so demobilized and depoliticized activists that I doubt that organizing for the inauguration protest has had much traction so far. The ABB party line has done nothing but generate a great deal of illusion that Kerry will be "the lesser evil" even on foreign policy, and frenetic activity for electing Kerry (or even watching polls religiously) will be sure to produce many burnouts -- out of sheer fatigue alone, if nothing else.

And remember, January 20th in Washington D.C. will be PRETTY DAMN COLD. To have a feisty protest on such a day, we need many Winter Soldiers, but the ABB party line has grown only Sunshine Patriots!

That said, we'll have to stay in the struggle and do the hard work of rebuilding the independent movement against the occupations both on the electoral and social movement fronts, so we can do better and the movement won't be killed so easily in 2008.

I hope that Mr. Tariq Ali won't stand in the way the next time. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>