[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali endorses Kerry, denounces Nader

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Oct 30 10:24:14 PDT 2004

>>>The vote for Nader (and other third-parties to some extent) will give us
>>>a preliminary count of our forces. And that is how we should look at
>>>future electoral efforts in the immediate future.
>>>
>>>Carrol
>
> I wonder if this "count" should include the 35,000 Republicans (and the
> extra maneuvring GOP Secretary of State -- so 35,001) in Michigan who got
> Nader on the ballot after the left decided not to support him.
>
> Joel

Four years ago in the Ann Arbor area, you saw Nader signs, buttons and bumperstickers on a pretty steady basis. This year, I don't think I've seen one. The state Repubs may have put the current Norman Thomas on the ballot, but I don't know of a single leftie here who cares or is planning to vote him, and most of them supported Nader last time out. I don't think Nader's gonna have much of an effect here, if anywhere. Better to just ignore him.

DP