[lbo-talk] Re: Eminem and fascism??

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 30 13:26:30 PDT 2004

Wojtek wrote:

My question, therefore, is that why do we need to see a celebrity to appreciate qualities that go unnoticed in ordinary people? ***************

I think we who stand powerless in the marketplace for commodities wish somehow to touch the skirts or shirtsleeves of power and believe by worshipping at the celebrity of our choice, we thereby achieve, perhaps, a splash of their golden showerness. **************

Why do we need that official recognition that goes with celebrity status to enjoy simple pleasures of life, like good music, good book, or good performance?

We need the approval of established power because at heart most people with a consumerist mentality have been taught to lap up at the brightest, shiniest corporate logo.

******** This is a good question to ask on this list because it may offer some interesting insights how hierarchies are constantly re-produced even by people who profess their staunch commitment to egalitarianism and meritocracy.

This is an important question to answer for those whose vision of good life involves fishing in the morning and writing poetry in the evening. When the revolution finally comes, everyone will have time to write poetry, all right. But why bother to write it at all, if only that written by a handful celebrity figures will ever be noticed, let alone enjoyed? ****************

Good questions. I ask them of myself when I'm not doing martial arts, writing, or making love. Still, one does want to do SOMETHING. After all, there is SOMETHING to be done.

Cheers, Mike B)

===== omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis all things change, and we change with them

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal