[lbo-talk] Re: Tari Ali elaborates

hari.kumar at sympatico.ca hari.kumar at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 30 16:25:40 PDT 2004

Hello Doug: I have the sense that this reply of mine is totally, & quite futile. But for what you do on your radio-show if nothing else, I think it is worth making a comment. [By the way, on your radio-show: Thx for posting the link to the 100 versions of the Internationale - I heard Alistair Huglet's version on your radio & was beaming. Ahem, that was far better than some of the more electro-whiney music you play at times - Just a personal view, that is all!]

Anyway, in what I think (I may well be deluded - merely becasue i said something about Blair) may reflect a partial 'reply' to my comments on the ex-Black Dwarfer Labour Entryist manifestation of a Younger Rebel, Tariq Ali says this: (4) I feel exactly the same regarding our local war-monger Tony Blair. I am for his defeat, despite the backing he has received from the labour movement. If a Liberal-Democrat candidate can defeat a pro-war New Labour ghoul, then I will vote for the Liberal-Democrats, despite their Kerry-like weaknesses. The reasons are the same. Politicians who deserve to be tried as war-criminals should not be elected."

REPLY: Well this is very noble indeed. I too would agree that war-criminals should be held accountable & not at all lauded. I think however that his shaft misses any target.

The situation in the UK, is exactly the same as here in that the whole point is to build an alternative party of the broader left, in a principled manner. I think the task in the USA is even more urgent, exactly because it is the heart-land of imperial might.

In both countries voting for the "Liberal Democrats" (UK) or the Kerry Democrats - does not assist that task. By the way, I note that he thinks that it would be worth voting in the uK for the Lib-Dems only: "If a Liberal-Democrat candidate can defeat a pro-war New Labour ghoul".

And if it is less likely to defeat the New Labour Ghoul? What does he do with his vote? Vote New Labour?

My comments about Tariq's Entryism when he was in an explicitly Trotskyist phase, are relevant in this manner: He eschews any but the apparently easiest cosying up to the most shameless forces. Again: It was this shameless opportunism, that assisted [I do of course realise there were other objective forces moving to this end - One can hardly blame the little old Tariqian-IMG for all that followed alone!] the forces of Thatcher, & then Blair. An older generation of activists more overtly influenced by (and un-ashamed to say so) of Lenin had a word for this type of behaviour: "opportunism". You will call all this un-adulterated Stalinism. That is a pity on a lot of levels.

I wish all the members of this list who reside in the USA many good wishes & sincere solidarity as they watch the polls. I wish them also a future alternative to the non-choice they face now. I want them to tell me how that is to be built. I cannot hear anyone proposing - in midst of the attack & counter-attack on the election right now, any sensible strategy. I may have missed it as the shoes, mud, horse-manure & saucepans fell across the debating floor. Cheers, Hari