[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali Endorses Kerry . . . for the Battleground States

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 31 10:24:03 PST 2004

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Sun Oct 31 09:15:32 PST 2004:
>Thomas Seay wrote:
<snip>
> >Come on, why this misrepresetation? I am voting for
>>Kerry and certainly not because he is my "new-found
>>hero". I doubt, no, I know he is not Doug's new-found
>>hero either. I would be the first to admit though,
> >that I am making this choice as an act of desperation.
>> By my calculation, at the very worst, we will be no
> >worse off.
>
>People like Brad can't seem to handle the idea that one can vote for
>someone who you know sucks, just because he sucks less than the
>other guy, and because you think that nonsucky politics would do
>better if the really sucky guy loses. Thus all this stupid
>caricature of "new-found hero." I loved Tariq's phrase, "rage from
>outer space."

According to Tariq Ali's own elaboration, however, "Many dear friends are committed to voting Nader/Camejo. On the West Coast and in New York this registers a vote to the left of Kerry and could add to the pressure but only if Kerry were elected." Voters in such one-party states as New York and California -- like Doug and Thomas -- should be voting for a candidate to the left of Kerry (Nader, Cobb, or any of the other candidates on the left) and adding to "the pressure" on Kerry. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>