[lbo-talk] Democracy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 31 18:13:17 PST 2004

Travis says:

>I am going to regret this Yoshie but what you write sounds
>suspiciously like something Ali or Henwood might say with a couple
>of amendments.

It's no wonder that what I wrote sounds very much like something that Doug or Tariq Ali might say (and I hope they would say again, if not this year, at least in the next election cycle), because that's roughly in the same league as what they used to say. :-|

Doug and Ali would probably say that the Bush administration was worse than they ever imagined -- look at the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq, the Patriot Act, support for the Apartheid Wall in Palestine, etc.! -- therefore, moving to the right and advocating voting for the Democratic presidential candidate in battleground states (Ali) or even all states (Doug) is necessary. I'd say, however, that the very things that make the Bush administration's record especially terrible -- the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq, the Patriot Act, support for the Apartheid Wall, etc. -- are precisely the things on which the Democratic and Republican Parties are in substantial agreement, what the Democratic Party did not try to block and is committed to continuing.

Differences still exist between the Democratic and Republican Parties, but they are not novel ones unique to this election cycle. If such continuing differences compel you to support the Democratic presidential candidate, your support is not a tactical decision limited to this particular election -- it is a principled decision that commits you to the Democratic Party for a long term. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>