[lbo-talk] Zhirinovsky pans Michael Moore

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 04:02:38 PDT 2004

Snippets from the latest issue of the Russian edition of Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.ru/), translated by me. Zhirinovsky is watching Fahrenheit 911:

On the screen. Statistics appear, according to which Bush Jr. wins in Florida with a minimal advantage.

Zh: "There it is. 'Against Bush.' 'For Bush.' 'Against Gore.' 'For Gore.'But it was like that with Clinton when they were considering his impeachment. A small number of votes decided everything... Bush is closer to the people. He's stupid, loves country music -- and that's good. The Democrats, on the other hand, are torn away from the people. Like ours (democrats)."

On the screen. A private chronicle of Bush, against the background of which the director Michael Moore says that the president spends a large part of his time on his ranch.

Zh: "We see him more in unofficial circumstances. He's with a dog, or playing golf, or driving a car. Ordinary americans love all this stuff. They look at him as one of their buddies. He falls off his bicycle, he's already fallen off twice. When he was playing golf, he also fell down."

On the screen. Bush is crawling on the lawn of his ranch.

Zh: "And they (ordinary Americans) also like that -- being close to the earth. He knows what he's doing. It's better than our bureaucrats. Putin is a bureaucrat. Yeltsin is a bureaucrat."

On the screen. A photograph of a young Ben Laden in a suit and beardless.

Zh: "They've been looking for him three years already, a permanent traitor... They neither show him dead nor alive. Like Basayev with us: he's been killed here, or wounded there, now in Pakistan, now in Ingushetia. Tomorrow he'll be in Voronezh... The goal of any politics is to frighten. It's always easier to do what's necessary that way. Hitler scared people, Stalin scared people, Khrushchev scared people, and now Bush..."

On the screen. Moore, with his enormous stomach completely visible.

Zh: "I'm trying to lose weight. I've got eight extra kilograms on me. But this guy's a complete pig. 150 kilograms. He has to eat less, and that's it."