[lbo-talk] Moore: $20m for me!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 1 07:05:07 PDT 2004

New York Post [Page Six] - September 1, 2004

MOORE'S MOMENT

DOLLAR signs were flashing in Michael Moore's eyes as boos rained down on the portly provocateur during Sen. John McCain's address to the Republican National Convention. "I just made another $20 million," Moore told his seatmate, conservative radio commentator Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who tells PAGE SIX: "I asked him, 'how do you feel about getting booed like this?' And he said, 'Well, first of all it's flattering. These people love their country, and I bet if we sat down face-to-face they'd see that we agree on a lot of the issues.' " The radio rabbi took the opportunity to challenge Moore on his past anti-Israel comments, but usually feisty Moore wasn't in a fighting mood. "I challenged him: Why would you want to undermine your moral credibility by coming across as a Jew-hater? He said, 'I love Israel, I believe in Israel's security. In my opinion the Jewish people are the most oppressed people on earth.' I couldn't believe my ears!"