[lbo-talk] anti-fascist agitation

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 14:17:38 PDT 2004

---- Original Message ---- From: uvj at vsnl.com To: lbo Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 8:56 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] anti-fascist agitation

> Wojtek wrote:
>> Anyone who believes that fascism cannot happen here is fooling
>> himself
>> (or herself). It can happen anywhere, especially here - see for
>> example
>> Richard Rubenstein, _The cunning of history: the holocaust and the
>> American future_. The argument there is that every nation has a
>> potential of becoming fascist, all it takes is the government
>> willing to
>> go that road and a small band of zealots willing to follow.
>
> I don't know what the US business would gain by fascism that it
> wouldn't
> able to obtain by usual liberal democratic process. Fascism is
> usually a
> very high risk political option.
>
> Ulhas

We are living in high risk times. A certain part of the "veneer" of democracy is starting to peel back and expose us (U.S.) to the dirty machinations that keep our standard of living stable. Some people will buy into it. Some will cave in to it. And others will rationalize that it has to be that way.