[lbo-talk] Over 1200 arrests in NYC - Bail Fund Needs Your Help

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Sep 1 23:53:56 PDT 2004

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [ACC] Over 1200 arrests in NYC - Bail Fund Needs Your Help Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:08:31 -0700 From: Adam Eidinger <enrages at verizon.net> Reply-To: adam at mintwood.com Organization: Mintwood Media Collective

Dear Friends,

I know what its like to get arrested and put in jail at a Republican Convention. SO that's why I'm worried about our brothers and sisters in New York protesting the RNC. I bet the civility of the police gets worse when their not in view of the camera lens. Right now over 1200 people have been arrested in New York and friends up there tell me the city is bracing for major demonstrations in the next 24 hours. I wish I could be there, but I cant, so I sent money instead. I encourage all of you to make a donation to the UFPJ bail fund. $20, $50, $100,, or what ever you can - it will add up and help get people out of police custody. Many arrests are for people simply gathering on side walks in small groups. Its taking a police state for the GOP to meet in NYC.

To make donations to this fund, contact United For Peace and Justice by phone, web, or mail. They can take checks, money orders, and cash, and can process donations by credit card over the phone or web.

Contact by Phone: 212-868-5545 Website/Paypal: www.unitedforpeace.org <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/> Mail: UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY 10108

Below is an appeal from a friend - please read and make a donation - For Solidarity - Adam Eidinger -------------------------------------------------------------- Solidarity Crucial for RNC Arrestees!

In the course of the massive and inspiring demonstrations against the Republican National Convention in New York City, several hundred social justice and human rights activists have been arrested. Arrestees have been beaten by the police, subjected to insufferable jail conditions, and vilified by the mainstream media. Bail has been set as high as $200,000. Some of those arrested-- people with immigrations issues, activists who have been injured in the course of the arrest--are in high risk situations and must be released from jail as soon as possible.

To abandon activists arrested in the course of these protests, especially those charged with felonies, is to presume them guilty until proven innocent, just as the state and media do. It is of critical importance that we support every activist targeted for repression. If we are to build a sustainable movement for social justice, we must immediately respond to all attempts to intimidate participants. We can do so by helping arrestees get out of jail, enabling these activists to get back to the important work they do in their local communities.

To this end, the NYC Legal Work Fund Collective has been established, made up of legal support representatives and activists from targeted communities. This collective will gather funds with which to cover the bail expenses of arrested activists.

To make donations to this fund, contact United For Peace and Justice by phone, web, or mail. They can take checks, money orders, and cash, and can process donations by credit card over the phone or web.

Contact by Phone: 212-868-5545 Website/Paypal: www.unitedforpeace.org <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/> Mail: UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY 10108

For bail questions ONLY, call the 24-hour information hotline at 347-225-6479, or email nyclwfund (at) lycos.com <mailto:nyclwfund%20%28at%29%20lycos.com>