[lbo-talk] Re: biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Sep 2 09:26:53 PDT 2004

I have some problems with the below:

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Liberalism started as a way of avoiding religious persecution: a few
> hundred years ago it was perfectly normal for countries to go to war
> over religious differences and to burn heretics at the stake.

It's debatable whether the wars were over "religious differences" or whether they were over who got to control the money/resources/power that were automatically granted organized religion

> Liberalism was a response to that: its original advocates advocated
> tolerance for different religious viewspoints.

There's another perspective to that: it trivialized/falsified religious feeling by reducing it to a "belief" and it asserted that a human society could achieve justice and a common weal independently of any deeper connection to a universal order.

> Over the centuries liberal goals have expanded to include a very
> radical vision of justice, freedom, and equality.

I would disagree that a "radical vision of justice, freedom, and equality" necessarily sprang from liberal roots. Though they might have sprung from questioning liberal assumptions.

> Progress hasn't been as fast as BM and I would like, and liberalism
> has not guaranteed results; a lot of liberal societies have been
> inconsistent in pursuing these goals. But these societies have pursued
> them, unlike fascist tyrannies, fundamentalist theocracies, Communist
> dictaorships, feudal and absolutist monarchies, and the other
> alternatives that history has thrown up for us to consider. So be
> careful before you throw away the political idea that has uniquely
> made what both of us would consider progress possible.

Perhaps we have not exhausted all the alternatives.

Joanna