[lbo-talk] Re: biz ethics/slavery/groups/constitutional rights

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 2 12:51:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:50:09 -0500, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>...And a
> century ago the New York Times referred jestingly to lynching as a cute
> local southern custom.
http://proquest.umi.com.ezproxy.sfpl.org/pdf/7170ec53ce17ab31710a9dc93957fe38/1094154951/share2/pqimage/hnimg1/20040902152551368/2365955/out.pdf

(Historical New York Times)

One example. Access the story and it will be hard not to see that this is hardly reflecting the 'tude of say, The Thunderbolt, of the National States Rights Party racists.

Citation 26. THE ANTI-LYNCHING SPIRIT IN THE SOUTH. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 26, 1904. p. 8 (1 page) >...wanton murder of negroes...In Huntsville, Alabama the United States Grand Jury, indicted several persons implicated in the murder of a negroe prisoner declaring that the crime would have never been committed if the victim not been a negro...The Judge declared the, 'lawless element, men who are considered good citizens but that in reality all who participated in the mob were guilty of murder.'...The feeling is growing that lynching is an offense against the entire community..."

Grabbed your NYT media criticism from the same HOAX sites that retail this? Which googling around http://www.google.com/search?q=John+Swinton+hoax

"finds" that "Swinton" was supposed to have said this, as late as the 1970's and as early as 1880. (Only source halfway reputable is UE Boyer/Morais labor history...and even that I doubt.)To the New York Press Club...or a retirement buffet...or the piles of rubbish that alligators in the New York sewers find rats in. http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/governme.htm http://www.constitution.org/pub/swinton_press.htm http://www.rense.com/general20/yes.htm Swinton-Yes, he said it, but...jeesh having to cite Jeff Rense on this ;-)
> ...To quote former New York Times Chief of Staff, John Swinton, as he
> admonished in his speech at the New York Press Club, in 1953: " There is
> no such thing as an independent press. You know, and I know, there is
> not one of you who dares write your honest opinions. We are paid not to
> print our opinions or we would be put out on the streets looking for
> another job. The business of a journalist is to destroy the truth; to
> lie out right, to prevent, to vilify; to fawn at the feet of mammon, and
> to sell the country for our daily bread. We are the tools and vassals of
> the rich men behind the scene. We are jumping jacks, they pull the
> strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives, are
> all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes.

-- Michael Pugliese