[lbo-talk] forewarned is forearmed

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Sep 2 13:08:22 PDT 2004

i think his point is the kerry campaign is blowing the election. putting aside what one may *feel* about cockburn, he makes very clear, simple and valid points.

1. few people at the NYC demonstrations were carrying Kerry for President signs. not much in itself but indicative of the fact that few people have Kerry bumperstickers across the nation (i've seen almost none on the Los Angeles freeways or streets -- and that's a lot of cars believe me) and few people are kerry supporters; the move is basically ABB.

2. Bush has appeal for middle americans and kerry doesn't.

3. the kerry campaign isn't making use of the domestic issues that republicans are ignoring during their convention and that should be "meat and drink" for the kerry campaign, such as "more people had slipped into poverty, more kids were hungry and now 45 million are without health insurance"

4. kerry's mistake at having his vietnam war record be the starring element of the dem convention rather than attacking shrub and the countless things the shrub group has screwed up. the GOP is sure attacking kerry at their convention. yet, the dems didn't attack shrub.

5. the choice of "insufferable Jamie Rubin, top State Department flack in the Clinton years" -- how true -- to announce, in effect, kerry wouldn't have voted otherwise on the iraq invasion even if he knew there were no WMDs, etc.

6. "How stupid do you have to be to throw away the Non-Existent WMDs as a stick to beat Bush with?" speaks for itself

7. the anti-war voters tendency to abandon kerry as a viable candidate.

doesn't this make it clear what cockburn is talking about? it's all old news, folks. al isn't saying anything that's not in our faces every day. the kerry campaign must pay attention to its strongest issues or loose.

the kerry campaign is a bust so far, and on the defensive most of the time. if it doesn't get its act together, cockburn's sarcastic comment about needing an october surprise -- as reagan used to oust jimmy carter -- is a humorous indication of how hapless the campaign is. one doesn't have to be arrogant or a believer in chaos to figure this out. one just has to have more brains than the kerry campaign.