[lbo-talk] Protestors Released, Zell fed to wolves

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Sep 2 10:57:18 PDT 2004

somewhere I heard that the speech was being rewritten right up 'til delivery. Man, if that was the "nice" version, imagine the original!

snit snat -------------

I looked around and found some of what was left out, so I thought I would share it with the list...

Some excerpts of the original Zell Miller and Dick Cheney speeches that various political focus groups in pivotal states decided were best left out...

``...[In]..this political purification of our public life, the Government...will undertake a thorough moral purging of the body corporate of the nation. The entire educational system, the theater, the cinema, literature, the Press, and the media - all these will be used as means to this end and valued accordingly. They must all serve for the maintenance of the eternal values present in the essential character of our people.... The neutral international attitude of aloofness is rapidly disappearing. Heroism is coming forward passionately and will in future shape and lead political destiny... Blood and race will once more become the source of.. [our national]... intuition....

Our legal institutions must serve above all for the maintenance of this national community. ...judges must ensure a sense of responsibility and the exercise of discretion in their judgments in the interests of society. Not the individual but the nation as a whole alone can be the center of legislative solicitude. High treason and treachery to the nation will be ruthlessly eradicated in the future. The foundations of the existence of justice cannot be other than the foundations of the existence of the nation.

The Government, being resolved to undertake the political and moral purification of our public life, is creating and securing the conditions necessary for a really profound revival of religious life...''