[lbo-talk] media birdbrains

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 08:55:40 PDT 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>Because the myth of the cowboy (see Anne Deavere Smith's Op-Ed piece in
>today's NY Times), so perfectly acted out by Reagan and George II (not his
>dad), the lone defender of the truth and right on the perilous frontier,
>touches such a deep chord in the national soul that it practically renders
>all discussion of "issues" on an intellectual level irrelevant.

Does the (deeply tedious) myth of the cowboy really have that much of a death grip on the national consciousness? Back in the fifties and sixties TV and the movies were crammed full of horse operas -- no more. HBO's new expletive-intensive Western (which I haven't seen) is the first major Western in years, and it doesn't seem to have attracted much attention.

I think (hope) that cultural archetypes burn out after awhile. If they didn't, Scandinavians would still dream about launching Viking raids instead of being preoccupied with keeping the welfare state alive.

Carl