[lbo-talk] MoveOn v. Bush

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Sep 3 10:40:20 PDT 2004

Hey, Nate: Where's the beef? You're trippin.

"...save families up to $1,000..." That's straight out of a used car TV ad: "You can save up to..." Play the lottery! You could win up to a million dollars!

Talking about the problem is not the same thing as proposing a political plan. To the extent he has any, Kerry's plan are a joke. Fixing health care by forcing insurers to use computer billing? Making pills slightly cheaper -- maybe? That's it? Seriously?

As for Kerry coming out for strong health care, a better tax system, and better enviro policies, he did that at the Convention and he does it every day on the stump. It's the media that's not covering him on the issues, and there is only so much he can do to change that. But we've got folks on the ground knocking on doors carrying that message-- the AFL-CIO has the goal to send out 15,000 volunteers and knock on 1 million doors tonight alone-- so the message is getting out.

Some excerpts people may have forgotten from Kerry's Convention speech: http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/speeches/spc_2004_0729.html

On health care:

"And we value health care that's affordable and accessible for all Americans.

Since 2000, four million people have lost their health insurance. Millions more are struggling to afford it.

You know what's happening. Your premiums, your co-payments, your deductibles have all gone through the roof.

Our health care plan for a stronger America cracks down on the waste, greed, and abuse in our health care system and will save families up to $1,000 a year on their premiums. You'll get to pick your own doctor - and patients and doctors, not insurance company bureaucrats, will make medical decisions. Under our plan, Medicare will negotiate lower drug prices for seniors. And all Americans will be able to buy less expensive prescription drugs from countries like Canada.

The story of people struggling for health care is the story of so many Americans. But you know what, it's not the story of senators and members of Congress. Because we give ourselves great health care and you get the bill. Well, I'm here to say, your family's health care is just as important as any politician's in Washington, D.C.

And when I'm President, America will stop being the only advanced nation in the world which fails to understand that health care is not a privilege for the wealthy, the connected, and the elected - it is a right for all Americans." (Note health care "as a right" in the last sentence)

On taxes:

"And let me tell you what we won't do: we won't raise taxes on the middle class. You've heard a lot of false charges about this in recent months. So let me say straight out what I will do as President: I will cut middle class taxes. I will reduce the tax burden on small business. And I will roll back the tax cuts for the wealthiest individuals who make over $200,000 a year, so we can invest in job creation, health care and education."

On the Environment

"[My mother] gave me her passion for the environment. She taught me to see trees as the cathedrals of nature. . .

I will have a Vice President who will not conduct secret meetings with polluters to rewrite our environmental laws. . .

What does it mean when twenty five percent of the children in Harlem have asthma because of air pollution? America can do better."

Not bad, especially combined with the concrete policies outlined on his website and added in various speeches around the country.