[lbo-talk] The Party of Lincoln

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 21:31:57 PDT 2004

--- R <rhisiart at charter.net> wrote:

> people forget lincoln was a trial lawyer.

Yes, he was. But as we see in this case, a corporate defender, not a "class action" king.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ihy980236.html

In the case above, Lincoln was, pursuant to the conservative/GOP ideal, a "good guy" trial lawyer, because he defeated the "bad guy" plaintiff attorney and client who filed suit. Note that the article even goes to suggest that some felt the accident was done on purpose in an attempt to abuse the court system and defeat the railroad. We see generally conservative critics of trial law and proponents of tort reform usually use cases such as these as example of why tort reform is needed. Lincoln would be, in this case, their hero.

- Deborah

=====

" How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks