[lbo-talk] media birdbrains

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Sep 4 07:20:34 PDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 10:33 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> But that's just it: I don't think George Butch matches the High Noon
> template of lone hero at all. Totally on the defensive, Gary Cooper
> was just one guy with a pistol against, what, six or more hired guns?
> He was literally a *lone* hero. Butch, OTOH, has had history's most
> awesome armed forces at his beck and call while swaggering around the
> world on one self-appointed harebrained chase after another. Butch is
> more the head of a lynch mob than he is an embattled romantic hero.

Yes, that's the reality, all right, but Gary Cooper is the myth, and Bush, IMHO, is doing a fine job of enacting it. That means that a lot of people, swept away by the myth, don't register the reality in their minds. That's the problem with mythical politics.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile