[lbo-talk] preparing for the October non-surprise?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 5 08:50:50 PDT 2004

U.S. Official Says Close to Catching Bin Laden Sun Sep 5, 8:38 AM ET

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - The United States and its allies have put Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) on the defensive, increasing chances of his capture soon, a U.S. counter-terrorism official said in remarks published in Pakistani media on Sunday.

Cofer Black, State Department coordinator for counter-terrorism, said in Islamabad the entire "infrastructure" was in place to capture bin Laden and his close lieutenants, Pakistan's English language Daily Times reported.

"In counter-terrorism, the programs are in place. We are after these guys globally," Black was quoted as saying after holding talks with Pakistani security officials.

"Success against people that you know about, Osama, could happen tomorrow, could happen the day after, a week from now, or a month from now," he added.

Black's comments, made only to Pakistani media, came just a few days after President Bush (news - web sites), who is standing for re-election in November, said that three-quarters of known al Qaeda leaders have been captured or killed.

"Osama bin laden is probably the most hunted man in the planet now. Osama bin Laden and his associates at that level are primarily defensive, they spend most of their time trying to keep from getting caught," Black told private Geo Television.

"If he (bin Laden) has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught.

"Programs are in place and what I tell people (is) I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he has been caught along with all his lieutenants," said Black, who went to Bangladesh on Sunday.

Pakistan -- a key ally of the United States in it war on terror -- has arrested more than 70 men linked to al Qaeda as part of a major crackdown since July.

Pakistan's crackdown followed the arrest of Mohammad Naeem Noor Khan, a computer expert officials say has provided crucial information about al Qaeda operatives and the organization's plans to launch attacks in Britain and the United States.

However, Pakistani officials and intelligence sources say they do not know if they are any closer to catching bin Laden.