[lbo-talk] anti-fascist agitation

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Sep 6 17:21:19 PDT 2004

OK I confess that by "classics" I mean Marx, Engels, Lenin.

I have nothing bad to say about Trotsky :>)

In Trotsky's "defense", the "infallibly come to pass" doesn't sound like he is saying Marxist people are infallible.

CB

From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>

--- Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote: CB: Yes, Marxists _do_ , of course, say that Marxism is immensely superior to other theories to guide practice, _not_ "forecast the future" . There's nothing in the classics about "forecasting the future". Saying Marxism is superior to other theories is not at all to say that Marxists are infallible. ---

I reread Trotsky's Results and Prospects and Permanent Revolution recently, and I know they're polemics, but he does say "so-and-so will INFALLIBLY come to pass" a heck of a lot.

By the way, it was with some surprise that I noticed that Trotsky's interpretation of Russian history was almost identical to that of Richard Pipes in Russia Under the Old Regime.