[lbo-talk] Testy

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 04:58:11 PDT 2004

--- kjkhoo at softhome.net wrote: If indeed 90% of Chechens are against the separatists/terrorists/murderers, why is Chechnya in the shape -- or as out of shape as -- it is?

kj khoo ---

Because of separatists/terrorists/murderers?

This is not an urban environment. A guerrilla movement can function perfectly effectively without public support simply by going into the mountains and living in the caves, which is what they do.

Look, I simply do not understand this strange compulsion to assume that the Chechen fighters have a popular base. Consider: Chechnya is historically a moderate, secular Muslim society. In 1996, hardline Shariah law was imposed. If you think that was popular in Chechnya, I don't know what drugs you have been using. Consider this little fact: MORE PEOPLE FLED CHECHNYA FROM 1996-1999 THAN IN THE FIRST CHECHEN WAR. What does that tell you? Who were they running from?