[lbo-talk] reporters afraid of "liberal bias" (OBJECTIVITY IS NOT NEUTRALITY)

bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Tue Sep 7 13:12:03 PDT 2004

As the historian Thomas L. Haskell wrote in his article from History and Theory titled "Objectivity is not Neutrality" /(History and Theory/, Vol. 29, No. 2. (May, 1990), pp. 129-157.):

"The powerful argument is the highest fruit of the kind of thinking I would call objective, and in it neutrality plays no part. Authentic objectivity has simply nothing to do with the television newscaster's mechanical gesture of allocating the same number of seconds to both sides of a question, or editorially splitting the difference between them, irrespective of their perceived merits." (p.136)

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0018-2656%28199005%2929%3A2%3C129%3AOINNRV%3E2.0.CO%3B2-3