[lbo-talk] leave a few teachers behind

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Sep 7 12:34:43 PDT 2004

> U.S. School Budget Woes Trim Teacher Ranks
> By Karen Pierog
>
> The federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2002 is another problem,
> Kaufman said, contending the program was inadequately funded and
> hurting school finances.
> The federal law requires annual student testing, training and hiring
> of qualified teachers and school accountability measures that allow
> students in failing schools to move to better schools.
>
> In Ohio alone, the shortfall for implementing the federal program has
> been pegged at $1.5 billion a year.

NCLB is evil, evil, evil, yet another testament to the toxicity of bipartisan (mis)rule. It raises testing standards in huge, nonsensical chunks -- something like 10% a year, I think -- while giving almost no new money to schools. Each year, the standards go up automatically, as if kids were nothing more than semiconductors on an assembly line, to be stamped and tagged, instead of human beings. So what's going to happen is that almost *all* schools will eventually fail the standards - and the Reps will turn around and say, see, public schools don't work (despite the fact they regularly achieve amazing results given their minimal funding), so let's slash their funding even more.

-- DRR