[lbo-talk] Chechen/N Ireland comparison, was Hamas vs. Al-Qaida

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 02:25:15 PDT 2004

Thanks James, I must admot that my knowledge of the IRA is limited to hazy memories from my childhood and adolescence (dating myself). But for the analogy to hold, you would have to have a situation in which:

-- The British pulled all of their troops and police from Northern Ireland;

-- in the following 3 years, criminal gangs connected with the IRA kidnapped thousands of Englishmen and -women, held them in cellars and sent videotapes of them being dismembered back to their families;

-- the IRA imposed some sort of theocratic Catholic state on the lines of what existed in 1000 AD; and

-- and the IRA (led by an Italian) invaded Scotland in order to forcibly convert the Scots to Catholicism.