[lbo-talk] Henwood vs Bond

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Sep 8 06:11:14 PDT 2004

Sure, it's just that this capitalist cat has had so many lives and we've cried wolf so often, that I've taken to adding "if" to "when" whenever the subject of breakdown comes up. That was Doug's point also, and then the FT piece citing the IMF study came along as a reminder to, ahem, hedge our bets. But not too bend the stick back too far: when the Fed, SEC, Buffet et al openly fret about Deutsche Bank becoming a giant "hedge fund", Fannie Mae 's exposure, the mountain of consumer debt, and the "unsustainable" US current account deficit, who are we to be complacent? Still, this isn't my field - I've already strayed far enough - and I'd appreciate, Patrick, if you or someone could provide me with a good explanation of why China and the US can't maintain their symbiotic trade and credit relationship for a long time yet. How CAN China and the other Asian central banks afford to dump the dollar? Not to keep plumping the FT, but Martin Wolf also had an interesting piece on this subject a week or so ago.

Marv Gandall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Bond" <pbond at sn.apc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 2:42 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Henwood vs Bond

Keynesians