[lbo-talk] Matt Taibbi on RNC protests

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Sep 8 09:28:11 PDT 2004

The other problem with the August 29 march was it was too small, smaller than the big antiwar march last Spring down Broadway. The problem was the organizers delayed too long in establishing a parage route and left enough confusion out there that many folks did not participate out of fear of arrests. I know from direct discussion that members of a lot of immigrant groups in the city stayed away out of fear and I know of family members, who marched last year, who stayed away. It turned out not to be a problem but things were too uncertain.

If a date and route had been established two months earlier-- and the final route could have been-- then I think we could have had over a million people on the streets. That scale of protest would have registered a far larger message than just one more impressive but not unprecedented multi-hundred thousand person march.

Numbers matter and the organizers screwed up in negotiating too long. They should have sued far earlier for access to Central Park and if they were turned down, they could have gotten the word out for alternatives. They didn't and the numbers suffered.

Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 9:59 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Matt Taibbi on RNC protests

I sympathsize with Chuck, who in an earlier comment in this thread said the Taibbi article was claptrap. But I think there's no question that there has been a diminishing return on sixties' style mass demonstrations -- that these demonstrations no longer have the shock value they used to have, that they have hardened into shtick, and that they are easily neutralized by the media and cops. The establishment was genuinely fearful of mass protests in the Vietnam era. No more.

Carl

>From: "T Fast" <tfast at yorku.ca>
>
>Carl is on to something here. The unity of 300,000 individuals all
>coordinated would have been an impressive and intimidating act of unity
for
>a whole host of reasons. But it is precisely this kind of discipline that
>is generally lacking.
>
>Travis
>
>>In the conformist atmosphere of the late 50s and early 60s, the
individual
>>was a threat. Like communist Russia, the system then was so weak that it
>>was actually threatened by a single person standing up and saying, "This
>>is bullshit!"
>>
>>That is not the case anymore. This current American juggernaut is the
>>mightiest empire the world has ever seen, and it is absolutely immune to
>>the individual. Short of violent crime, it has assimilated the
>>individual's every conceivable political action into mainstream
commercial
>>activity. It fears only one thing: organization.
>>
>>That's why the one thing that would have really shaken Middle America
last
>>week wasn't "creativity." It was something else: uniforms. Three hundred
>>thousand people banging bongos and dressed like extras in an Oliver Stone
>>movie scares no one in America. But 300,000 people in slacks and white
>>button-down shirts, marching mute and angry in the direction of Your
Town,