[lbo-talk] nuclear power

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 19:09:41 PDT 2004

"They weren't quite right. Lovelock has always been an enthusiast. It is, in both senses, a generational thing. Fifty years ago, Britain was promised that nuclear power would generate "electricity too cheap to meter". That dream lodged in the minds of his generation: almost all the technology's big fans are over 60." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is nice.. and general to the point of meaninglessness.

I watched the BBC interview and he wasn't talking about "electricity too cheap to meter", he was talking about "Time's Up" for global warming issues, and nukes would be a stopgap measure until some other, cleaner power source is available.

Of course it won't happen that way if we turn to nukes as our backbone energy source. We'll use them til we glow, just like we kept going with fossil fuels till we almost "crispy crittered" ourselves with solar radiation from the greenhouse effect.

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com

----- Original Message ----- From: R To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 6:29 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] nuclear power

There is an alternative Politicians are once more revving up the debate that only nuclear power can save the planet

George Monbiot Tuesday September 7, 2004

The Guardian

For 50 years, nuclear power has been a solution in search of a problem. Now - oh, happy days! - two of them have arrived at once. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~