[lbo-talk] EU Still Not the US

dano dano at well.com
Wed Sep 8 20:08:21 PDT 2004

At 9:53 AM -0400 9/8/04, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>Dano:
>
>> I don't see the social welfare structure being reduced, but
>> globalization is happening whether we like it or not, and it affects
>> everybody. Management is forced to reduce costs or be put out of
>> business.
>

>Europe can cut its social safety net in half and still be ahead of the
>US. The changes that you are talking about are relatively minor
>adjustments, not a wholesale dumping of welfare provisions a la
>Korporate Amerika.

I'm not talking about dumping of welfare provisions - you and Dennis Redmond are.

I am talking about the movement of European corporations, capitalists and governments towards a more American-like business model. The two - business model and social welfare - are not necessarily linked or antagonistic.

>As to the "effects of globalization" - capitalism has always been a
>global and globalizing system, as the bearded one already pointed out.
>How is 19th century globalization different from today's globalization?

Speed of light and speed of transport to name just two.

>What we are witnessing is not "globalization" or any surge thereof, but
>a change in the power structure in the developed countries produced
>mainly by the demise of the Soviet empire and introduction of new
>communication technologies.

Not sure I understand how the demise of the FSU fifteen years ago causes corporate managers to look more towards quarterly profit and cost reduction, and less toward long term production.