[lbo-talk] New CBS Poll: Bad News For Kerry

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 13:13:34 PDT 2004

> Kerry is loosing because US is one of the most reactionary countries in
> the developed world, and people tend to like conservative leaders with
> evangelical style, like Bush. They are afraid of terrorism and think
> that tough-talking Bush will protects them, just like tough looking SUV
> will "protect" them from car crash injuries or death. They are
> anti-intellectual and philistine - they like down to earth vernacular
> talking guys - and Bush is quite good at this role. They do not like
> people who are thoughtful and cultured like Kerry because they associate
> that with being indecisive and effeminate.

> Wojtek

At the risk of seeming simplistic, I tend to agree w/Woj. I see this everyday -- a pocket of liberalism in Ann Arbor surrounded by deer huntin', truck drivin', rifle totin', white nativists who plaster their yards & rigs with the biggest "patriotic" displays they can afford, and who cling to the likes of Bush 'cause he speaks right to them, their fears and their fantasies of who they imagine themselves to be. ('Course, there's the GOP-hating ultra-right with their US Out Of The UN bumperstickers, etc, but that's another crowd entirely.) I still think that Bush will win, perhaps narrowly, simply because he and Cheney play directly to the basest fears of average Americans, lie shamelessly, and strike heroic poses with 847 Old Glories whipping in the breeze behind them. Kerry can't compete on this front.

DP