[lbo-talk] ABC News Poll: More Bad News For Kerry

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 14:46:12 PDT 2004

I can't see how, had Kerry taken a more critical posish on war, he would be in a different place. He'd still be vulnerable to the attack from Shrubya-Fuckyourself '04, characterizing him as weak on security and indecisive.

I also think it's funny that, at least on MSNBC, he's constantly characterized as having no position on anything. Yet, I never see them actually cover anything the guy is saying or doing. They whine about the 527 attacks on Shrubya for lying about his service/dodging the draft and yet they cover it, instead of covering the stuff Kerry is supposedly saying about domestic issues.

Oh well... Heh. Had to laugh the other day when sonshine asked: Is the election over yet? Thought you'd like that Chuck!

Oh, I enjoyed this bit from James Wolcott:

An Ignoble Confession Posted by James Wolcott

I root for hurricanes. When, courtesy of the Weather Channel, I see one forming in the ocean off the coast of Africa, I find myself longing for it to become big and strong--Mother Nature's fist of fury, Gaia's stern rebuke. Considering the havoc mankind has wreaked upon nature with deforesting, stripmining, and the destruction of animal habitat, it only seems fair that nature get some of its own back and teach us that there are forces greater than our own. Sure, a hearty volcano can be enjoyable. Burning rivers of lava: so picturesque. But a volcano is stationary, like Dennis Hastert after a big lunch. It doesn't offer the same dramatic suspense. Hurricanes are in unpredictable flux. They move, change direction, strengthen, weaken, lose an eyewall, repair an eyewall; they seem to have volition and opera-diva personalities.

So there's something disappointing when a hurricane doesn't make landfall, or peters out into a puny Category One. Reporters and weather announcers may profess relief and gratitude that residents were spared the full unleashing of the vortex, but their coverage belies this. They love having reporters shouting into microphones on rain-lashed beaches as the stray yacht gets flung around like a bath toy. The helicopter shots of rows of mobile rooms smashed as if stomped on by a giant boot are money shots to the news networks.

Hurricane Frances also has a heraldic quality. Camille Paglia observed on Salon in February, 2003 that the explosion of the Columbia shuttle on the eve of the war on Iraq was a "stunning omen," one that would make a Roman general think twice. A catastrophe strewing death, fire, and human remains across Bush's home state of Texas was inauspicious to our undertaking; and so it has proven to be. Frances is the second hurricane to afflict Florida, home of brother Jeb, in rapid succession.

The gods are not pleased.

http://jameswolcott.com/archives/2004/09/an_ignoble_conf.php

Everyone is just hurricane weary around here. Why do they have to happen on the freakin' weekend!?

Kelley

"We're in a fucking stagmire."

--Little Carmine, 'The Sopranos'