[lbo-talk] Heartfield: Zombie anti-imperialists vs the 'Empire': A reply.

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 9 15:27:36 PDT 2004

Travis quotes Marx as writing:

"To be radical is to grasp things by the root. But for man the root is man himself."

And just as in the 19th Century, we produce the social wealth as a working class and still attribute it to other creators. Reification, nurtured from cradle to grave, turns the wage-slaves' "grasping" upside-down. Fortunately, in most of the industrialized world, the power of religion has ebbed over the last Century. Unfortunately, the commodification of human relations has become endemic over the same time span. But, as I think Fromm has shown in his social psychological research, humans have an instinct for freedom and this instinct is the monkeywrench which constantly wears, when not raging, against the soft machine. As Sandino said, "the workers and peasants will get there in the end."

Hopefully, Mike B)

===== "If you let yourself be absorbed completely, if you surrender completely to the moments as they pass, you live more richly those moments."

Anne Morrow Lindbergh

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal