[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Sep 9 19:58:32 PDT 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:55 PM, Doug Henwood quoted:

> Sixtythree percent of Bush's supporters now say they're "very
> enthusiastic" about him, a new high for Bush in this important measure
> of motivation. Kerry's support, after dropping in advance of the
> Republican convention, is flat, at 39 percent very enthusiastic. And
> while 84 percent of Bush's supporters are affirmatively "for" him,
> that's true of just 41 percent of Kerry's; more of Kerry's supporters,
> 55 percent, are chiefly "against" Bush.

That's what will probably sink Kerry -- he just won't get enough turn-out on Election Day, because droves of registered voters who would have voted for him if he hadn't gotten trapped in the "tagging after the GOP is the safest course" DLC line will think, "Why bother?"

Of course, if he really went to town on Shrub, that might change, but I doubt that he will.

> FAVE - Probably worst for Kerry, his "favorable" rating has gone
> negative, meaning that more registered voters now express an
> unfavorable than a favorable opinion of him, 42 to 36 percent. Kerry's
> favorable rating - the most basic measure of a public figure's
> popularity - has dropped by 15 points since his convention. Bush's
> favorability rating has held essentially steady, and his job approval
> rating is now 52 percent among all Americans and registered voters
> alike - the first time it's edged above 50 percent among the general
> population in ABC/Post polls since April.

Big John just has to destroy Bush's favorability somehow. That might drive his down more, too, but if he can smear Bush more than Bush smears him, he might make it.

A pathetic situation, I admit, but this is without doubt the most pathetic, disgusting presidential election I have ever seen. Whichever one wins, masses of Americans are going to be in a foul mood. If anyone thinks the situation is nasty now, they haven't seen anything yet.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.