[lbo-talk] Black Farmers Sue Agriculture Department

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 20:37:34 PDT 2004

"The new lawsuit seeks $20.5 billion and class-action status for up to 25,000 blacks who farmed or attempted to farm between 1997 and 2004. The USDA in 1999 settled a lawsuit by black farmers who said they had been systematically denied federal loans and subsidies for years. That settlement has been criticized, especially since an August report by the Environmental Working Group and the National Black Farmers Association found many farmers' claims were rejected."

http://news.findlaw.com/ap/a/w/1152/9-9-2004/20040909120019_127.html

Thursday, Sept. 9, 2004

Black Farmers Sue Agriculture Department By ROXANA HEGEMAN Associated Press Writer

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Black farmers sued the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Thursday with recent claims that the agency discriminates against them in loans and farm programs - allegations that also were at issue in a sweeping civil rights case settled five years ago. snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The report said about 96,000 black farmers sought restitution under the settlement; 72,438 of those claims were rejected in arbitration; and 7,800 for failing to meet filing deadlines. snip~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Agriculture Department said it could not comment on pending litigation. However, USDA spokesman Ed Loyd said the agency's record on implementing and observing civil rights laws during the Bush Administration has been exemplary. "We have implemented numerous initiatives to improve our service to all farmers and ranchers, especially minorities and women," he said. "That is something that has been a priority for us and we have a very strong record of accomplishment on that." The USDA declined to comment on the earlier settlement, saying an independent auditor distributed those funds. ============================

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com