[lbo-talk] length

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Sep 9 21:02:48 PDT 2004

At 8:47 PM -0700 9/9/04, Leigh Meyers wrote:

>(3)
>the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the
>copyrighted
>work as a whole; and
>(4)
>the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the
>copyrighted
>work.
>
>The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use
>if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors
>
>Sounds good... til that last two lines.

In relation to (3), my argument would be that it is often unreasonable to quote something out of context. But in any event it is a matter of considering the overall effect of all the factors. Frankly, if the copyright holder can't show any likely loss, as a result of being copied, then I don't see how they have any leg to stand on in claiming damages. In most instances, forwarding articles is likely to have the opposite effect, making the author and or the publisher more well-known and thus a more valuable commodity in a market where this is crucial. If I was sued for damages for distributing copyright articles, I would probably counter-claim that I was entitled to a publicity fee.