[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Thu Sep 9 22:41:21 PDT 2004

Nate: You suck. There's just no talking to you. You define "the left" as everybody who might vote for Kerry, and you apparently think Kerry's Republican-lite schtick is the best of all possible political discourses.

Meanwhile, so far in his campaign, Mr. Kerry has managed to legitimize not one, but two, immense, world-historic war crimes -- Vietnam and Iraq, despite the fact that the population, with a modicum of leadership, is achingly ready to do better.

And, while this happens, you attack the people for seeing the obvious, and you also attack us LBOers for the same thing.

Like all DLC whores, your main politics seems to be aimed at pouring boiling oil on everybody who even mildly questions the party line.

Yeah, sure: We LBO-heads are doing the right's work for it. Yep. Quite obvious.

Meanwhile, you're defending the Clinton "welfare reform" legacy and the Kerrybot promotion of health care reform via computer billing and "4 more years of occupation."

I think I see where the body is buried. Thanks for helping clarify. The DP is dead. Kerry is going to lose, despite the fact that almost all of us here will waste a vote on the horse-face.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Nathan Newman Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 7:11 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Nathan Newman wrote:
>I know the talking points have registered with the public; I'm just noting
>the idiocy of lefties repeating and reinforcing them.

-Why do you think they have registered with the public? Could it be -that there's enough truth to them that they stick?

Because Bush dropped $50 million plus the Swift Boat attack plus a convention attack repeating those point during the whole month of August. Before that point, more Americans were saying that Kerry was honest than Bush-- who of course is a liar, yet the American people say they trust him.

-You'd be a lot more effective if you conceded a point now and then -instead of singing from the songbook without departure or -improvisation.

Since I've been saying for well over a year that Kerry's position on the war was coherent, even if I don't agree with it, why should I change my position because of the polls? This is like the Al Gore invented the Internet crap. The rightwing machine repeats it endlessly, then the media repeats it, then even the left repeated it, creating a closed loop of false information.

I've criticized Kerry repeatedly-- check my blog if you need extra evidence-- but on this point, you all are just playing along with the right wing attack machine. You may not like Kerry's position, but it actually reflects the position of a hell of a lot of people-- initially supporting the goals of ousting Hussein but now arguing that Bush botched the execution.

And you know, one reason the rightwing is effective is that they actually have a songbook, unlike the fucking contemporary left which is a bunch of individualists who couldn't coordinate a message to save their lives. Folks on this list are spending their time trashing Kerry. Guess what the rightwing is doing? Trashing Kerry.

There are days I can barely tell the difference between this list and freerepublic.com

Nathan Newman