[lbo-talk] New CBS Poll: Bad News For Kerry

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 9 23:10:18 PDT 2004

John Thornton wrote:

> What makes you think this? The fact that school boards are still having
> to fight the creation vs. evolution in science class B.S. somewhere
> every year? The fact that the sitting President of the US believes he is
> gods chosen messenger to bring a christian based crusade of free-market
> B.S. to the heathens in the rest of the world? The fact that the
> Attorney General of the US is an evangelical Assemblies of God nutbag
> who believes god chose him to serve the current President of the US and
> instill some weird brand of paternalistic moral fiber into the
> "heathens" in the US? Yea, these guys are powerless. Get a clue dude,
> they're currently running the show.

I'm sorry if my analysis of the current state of the religious right steps all over your dogma about their power. I understand that the American left hasn't yet accepted the fact that they won the culture wars against the right. We need to sharpen our understanding of the current situation so we don't waste resources on fighting the battles populated by ghosts and bogeymen. Thomas Frank has evidently done some good work in explaining how the current conservative movement operates. If I remember correctly, he was one of the first to point out the demise of the religious right in his book "One Nation Under God." Various leaders on the religious right have said this year that they lost the culture wars and that their power has waned (see Gary Bauer for starters).

I've fought the religious right when they were trying to intervene in the library profession. These days their warriors are nowhere to be found.

And let me point out that they have lost so badly that this year people are arguing about *gay marriage*.

The fact that the current U.S. President has some fundamentalist religious attitudes does not mean that he is the avatar of the religious right. If he gets voted out of office in November, the religious right is not going to suddenly come back to life.

They've lost and they've given up.

Chuck