[lbo-talk] Re New Economist Poll: Bad News For Bush

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Sep 10 06:44:26 PDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 7:08 AM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> Many people on this list seem to want everything on their agenda or
> they'll
> reject it all.

That may be true of some, but I'm willing to compromise. I just think that Kerry ought to frankly say that he was wrong to vote for the authorization of force, and is now admitting his mistake.

After all, he did say the other day that it is "the wrong war at the wrong time in the wrong place." Isn't that tantamount to an admission that he had made a mistake? So why not just say so? Or is he talking out of both sides of his face?

His stated position on the war may be technically non-contradictory, but it's so complex that it confuses the heck out of even his supporters and spokespersons. I think he should simplify it to a forthright anti-war position and let the chips fall where they may. The problem, I guess, is that he is by now so beholden to so many people, including big-business interests in the military-industrial complex, that he can no longer be the anti-war leader he was in his youth.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax